Thursday, August 6, 2009

LACMA: A Study in Food Trucks


This week I’ve rekindled a love affair with food trucks. I’ve always loved vendor food. I can think of many sporting events and carnivals of various types that I’ve attended specifically for the vendor food. For some reason, however, I had begun to neglect these valuable purveyors of flavor in recent history. A new wave of creativity in food trucks have put them somewhat en vogue in LA and back into the forefront of my mind. Hurrah! What’s not to like about cheap and tasty eats?

More specifically, however, this week I’ve been taken with the combination of Food Trucks + LACMA. There always seems to be a decent selection of food trucks around this area, probably because there are various large businesses, such as Variety and SAG, in this area, not to mention the foot traffic from visitors to the museum.

LACMA is not at all far from my office – a fact I have not taken nearly enough advantage of in the years that we’ve been here. On Tuesday, my coworker, J.P. noticed on his Twitter feed that several trucks he’s been following were in the area. We ended up choosing one called Skewers on Wheels, another Mexican Asian fusion truck, but at least they're mixing Mexican and Japanese, rather than just doing another Korean/Mexican mix. DELISH! We started out sampling the chicken and meat skewers. Both were very tender and served with a light teriyaki glaze. Every now and again we did encounter little bits of gristle, but overall very tasty. They are served with a small serving of spicy coleslaw. You really can’t beat this at $2 a pop. We also sampled the carne asada tacos which were also very tasty. The guy running the truck was REALLY nice and enthusiastic. On top of the already super reasonable prices, he knocked a few bucks off the total. I think they might be new and are still trying to make a name for themselves in this new world of Tweeting Trucks.



Since we had time left over, J.P. and I decided to cross the street to LACMA and take a walk around the grounds. They have a surprising amount going on outside the museum for which you don’t even have to pay the entrance fee. On the plaza, in between the ticket booths, you are confronted by what looks like a massive curtain of lanterns.



When you get a little closer you realize the curtain is actually made up of hanging Tupperware. It’s bright and colorful and completely coaxes your inner five-year old to run and play, and weave in and out of the hanging plastic. And you’re completely encouraged to do so!





Another installation in the park in back of LACMA is comprised of chain link fences covered with brightly colored plastic “trash” and you are invited to add any plastics you might have to the display. All we had was our plastic water bottles, but hey why not? Better here than in a landfill. Both pieces, which are a part of the current exhibition on Korean Art, are called HappyHappy, by Choi Jeong-Hwa and they really are. Who knew trash and Tupperware could be so much fun!






The next day was another gorgeous LA day, and I took myself on a stroll at lunch. I wound up by LACMA again and I ran into the Kogi truck with absolutely no line. Well, of course I couldn’t pass that up! I ordered the day’s special – a BBQ pork quesadilla with caramelized onions and spicy salsa verde. This may be the best item I’ve tried so far, but I have a lot more ground to cover.



I plopped down with my treasure at a picnic table near the tar pits and feasted on my quesadilla and read a good book. I ran into a fruit cart on my way out and bought some for my walk back to the office. I was a happy girl strolling ing in the California sun with my giant bag of fruit.




You’d think I would have had enough by now, but you’d be wrong. Today is an even more perfect day outside – a few degrees cooler and there’s a light breeze blowing. Heather and I made a plan to grab another food truck lunch and stroll through exhibits at LACMA. Unfortunately, it took a little longer than expected for her to make it over on her bike, so we didn’t have time to go inside. This time we grabbed lunch at Green Truck , which is all organic. The women in charge were about to leave but were nice enough to stick around a few minutes longer to serve us lunch.



It turns out you can get healthy eats at the food trucks. After the last couple of days, I thought that might be the way to go and I ordered a quinoa tabouli salad with mixed veggies and chicken. I would have liked a little more dressing on the mixed greens and I’m not a huge fan of raw mushrooms, which were very present on this salad, but the beets on the salad were delicious. On the whole it was perfect summer food – very light and refreshing, but satiating at the same time.



Heather had a tasty looking chicken pesto wrap with a side of fries – of course I snagged a few of these.


We took our lunch over the picnic area again and found a shady spot. Afterward, while we didn’t have time for LACMA, we did have time to stroll around the top of the Page Museum where we could glimpse down into their coy pond. Another amazing lunch hour!

I’ve never been here and will make a note to come back. Actually, there are so many little museums in the vicinity that I’ve never been to -- – a new museum and a lunch truck for every day of the week. I may have to make a project out of this when we’re back from Oz, especially if I can arrange a few days as gorgeous as today.

I finally gave up my long holdout on Twitter and JP set me up just so that I can follow the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment