Thursday, June 17, 2010

Yoga by the sea



One morning before we headed out on the road again, I escaped to Bondi for a class at Yoga by the Sea to counterbalance all the partying and trip-planning. They hold classes by the pools at the Bondi Icebergs Club, which boasts spectacular views of the beach that will put anyone into a relaxed holiday frame of mind.



A lot of yoga classes have calming settings, however, this one has the added feature of the soothing sounds of waves crashing just a few meters away. I have to admit that I was sad that I hadn’t made it out here earlier on our trip so as to take more advantage.



They offer sessions everyday– choose between calming Yin classes, or more energetic Yang classes. The hour-long classes are $15 and entrance to the Icebergs is $5, but students are welcome to use the saunas and fitness facilities after class is over. If you’re lucky enough to be the first to spot a whale or dolphin, the class is free.



Side Note: Getting pictures between asanas was interesting. I kept the camera at the front of my mat aimed as best as possible in different directions. When I'd flow from upward-facing dog to down dog, or when swan diving to forward fold, I'd hit the trigger button. Obviously, this kind impedes getting into a clear yogi mindset, so I wrapped up the camera pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment