Friday, September 17, 2010

The New Zealand Adventure: The Wicked Campervan Experience

IMG_0482

Campervans are very popular way to travel in Australia and New Zealand. You’ll them everywhere you go, and the Wicked Campervans are pretty much the most noticeable vans around. Wicked converts your average minivan and equips them for camping and road-trips. However, they also give the outside a makeover that would shock your average soccer mom. They graffiti the outside of each van with extremely creative captions and designs, that also tend to be extremely lewd. You get no say in which one you get, but I have to say, ours was actually pretty tame . . . thankfully.

Part of the fun of driving around in one though, is that there is a certain camaraderie amongst Wicked Camper drivers. They’re pretty visible to begin with, and when you take into consideration a place like New Zealand, where there are long stretches of nearly empty road, you can’t help but notice each other. So, whenever you see another wicked van go by, you honk at each other in solidarity.


One might have reservation about the roominess of a travelling around in a campervan. Our van wasn’t huge – like I said, it’s a converted minivan – but it was surprisingly comfortable. I always say I never knew I could be so happy living out of such a small space.


When we went to turn in our van at the end of trip, they were starting a new tradition at our location. They handed us some magic markers and told us to go to leave our mark on the inside. I left a couple of doodles and tips, but Greg really went to town.

IMG_1050

IMG_1049


We had an awesome time travelling around in our camper, but I have to say, I’m really happy I didn’t have to spend ten nights staring up at Greg’s freaky eye.


1 comment:

  1. it really is the best way to travel round australia and new zealand... oh it takes me back!!

    ReplyDelete