Thursday, October 22, 2009

Diversity Dinners: La Cumbia


Every Friday night the AGSM crowd gets together at a different restaurant for their Diversity Dinners. Despite the fact that this is right up my alley, I didn't make it to one until this past week.

This dinner was at a place called La Cumbia that serves Spanish, Mexican, and Colombian food -- that's quite a variety. I have to say I was quite intrigued to see what Mexican food would be like in Oz -- I've heard that for most part it is far from awesome. I guess that's to be expected. The fajitas here looked ok -- passable but lacking in flair.

Of all things, I ended up opting for a Bandeja Paisa. This is a dish very typical of Medellin and the state it's in, Antioquia. The owners are Colombian and it definitely shows as my dinner was much more authentic than the Mexican options. I have to admit, it's nicer -- not to mention cheaper -- to eat this very hearty dish at roadside restaurant in the hills outside Medellin, but this definitely hits the spot if you're missing Latin American while down under.


I forgot to a take picture of my dinner, so I've borrowed one. This is close to the version served at a Cumbia,

It's also worth noting that the margaritas here were surprisingly good considering this is a very small mom and pop joint.

The thing that makes this place a real find though, is that they have a small shop section in the back. You can buy various types of ready-made arepas and tortillas, fresh cheeses, and loads of canned goods that are surprisingly hard to find at the grocery stores. I came away with several cans of black beans, chipotle peppers, Harina Pan, and dulce de leche. I realize you're probably thinking, 'Really? You're excited about black beans and chipotle peppers?' Well, all I'm saying is that you don't know how much you rely on some things until they're not available. Another girl from Texas and I were both pretty much beside ourselves with joy to be able get our hands on this stuff.



Oh, Goya! Who knew you would be so missed?!

No comments:

Post a Comment