Thursday, November 5, 2009

Flaming Lips: Red Chilli Sichuan Hot Pot



I was so enchanted by Glebe that on Sunday I took G back there for a dinner break. We ended up at Red Chilli Sichuan Hot Pot. Neither of us had ever tried Hot Pot before, so it seemed like an adventure – and it was.



The tables each have a large indented section in the middle with a burner at the bottom. A large pot filled with your choice of broths fits into the slot. We chose a combo of broths – one was very mild, the second was dark red from the copious amount of chillies stewing in it. Next, you choose from a selection of meats, fish, noodles, and veggies to add to your soup. As these arrive, you cook them in the boiling soup. Basically, your composing your own soup bowl as you go.


The chilli broth was as intense as its color. For some reason, if I slurped it too quickly the spicy peppers would cause the back of my throat to collapse and send me into a hacking cough. However, if I actually made sure to taste it first, it was all good. Well, that and cutting it substantially with the mild broth. Nonetheless, by the end our lips were bright red and inflamed to twice their size. I think we may have both looked like a couple of clowns . . . but it was sooo good.

In addition to the hot pot, there were a couple of other treats. As an appetizer the restaurant sends out shelled edamame doused with a hint of chilli and toasted sesame oil. So simple, so delicious. I think I'll have to try that preparation at home.


For dessert, we had pumpkin cakes. The pumpkin seems like it was nearly pureed to a jelly-like consistency, then the cakes are covered in sesame seeds and fried. Not too big, with just a hint of sweetness. The perfect dessert.

Our mouths staid on fire for more most of the rest of the evening, but I'd definitely go back for another round.

No comments:

Post a Comment