Monday, November 2, 2009

Sushi Fail


On Thursday night, I forced G to take a break from his studying to get some dinner. My plan was to take him to La Cumbia, the Colombian/Spanish/Mexican place he'd missed out on. It turned out to be closed, but there were lots of interesting looking little eateries on the way back home. We chose a small sushi joint called Pinocchio since it was busy and had good prices.

Now in LA, the 'ol 'you get what you pay for' adage doesn't always hold up. You can actually find really decent sushi in tiny shops at good prices. It stands to reason that Sydney, with it's fame for good seafood, would be the same. I mean, it is a country surrounded by water. And yet, when my tuna roll arrived it was stuffed with canned tuna. I'd never heard of such a thing.

This just seemed wrong! I laughed, but I was also a little appalled. Later, I commented on this fiasco on my facebook status, and it caused a little bit of an uproar. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks canned tuna sushi is unacceptable. As it turns out, this isn't the only place it happens either. It appears to be common practice in Argentina, and from what few people had to say, it looks like it's not just a fluke here in Australia. I was hoping it was just a poor selection in restaurant.

Further investigation is required.

No comments:

Post a Comment