Sunday, July 12, 2009

LA Summer Bucket List Item #1: Incandescence at The Edison


Seeing as I have 2 months left in my beloved Los Angeles before G and I head on our adventure to the Land of OZ for four months, Marc and I concluded that I had to put together a Bucket List of everything I want to do before I leave and cross off as many items as possible in the time remaining. The term is stolen from the movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman of the same title – which I have not seen – in which the two men make a list of everything they want to do before they “kick the bucket.”

Admittedly, this is actually round 3 at the Edison. (see my previous post) However, only our second trip on Wednesday night when the bar is taken over by Incandescence: The Dark Side of Light, and aerial artists, acrobats, and burlesque dancers take over the stages and hang from the walls and ceilings. (One more notch for the circus theme!)

On our first Wednesday visit, Marc and I took in the spectacle from the sidelines. This time we brought the troops –. Heather, Mike, Melissa T. , and ‘lil Amy, just returned from a long job in New Mexico. (Sadly, G had a rough day at work and opted out at the last moment, as did a sick Johanna.)

Last time, I noticed that many people dressed up for the occasion. As we know, I love costumes, so this time I did too. Walking down the street I felt a little eccentric, but the moment we walked in I felt right at home since all the performers are continuously mingling through the crowd in their 30’s/goth blended attire and corseted burlesque costumes and many of the other guests also dress to match the spirit of things. The Panama hat I borrowed from G did, however, catch the attention of the stilt performer in a top hat, who I have named Chapeau.




The vibe is infectious. By the end of the night you can’t help but feel just a little bit wicked and debaucherous. The well-made classic Mai Tai’s certainly helped as well. When Ms. Amy gets tipsy, (I’m not even saying she drank all that much, but she’s tiny waifish thing) she gets quite affectionate and flits about like a pixie bestowing hugs and kisses on the cheeks to everyone around her. You can’t help but feel the love.

Marc, Melissa, Heather, Amy & Mike



This was Edison round 3, and I highly doubt it will be the last.
The Bucket List is off to a great start!




No comments:

Post a Comment