Saturday, July 4, 2009

Surf Report: Lesson # 3

I managed to stand up yesterday! Three times, actually . . . for about 5 seconds each time, but I stood up.

I went for lesson number 3 yesterday. The ocean was freezing. Like ice. Even my instructor, Nick, said he’d rarely experienced it so cold. I’d had high expectations because the weather has been a lot nicer, and yet the ocean has continued to conspire against me and my hatred of the cold water. However, I would not be deterred!

There weren’t many waves either. The day began with a lot of cloud cover, but it cleared to reveal a gorgeous start to the 4th of July weekend. It would have been perfect for a relaxing day at the beach. Waves, however, were few and far between. Still, I managed a little progress despite this.

I’ve come to another sad realization. I think the coffee that lures me out of bed in the morning is to be blamed for continually cutting my surf practices short. After the lessons are over, you can stick around and practice for as long as you want. Each time so far, however, I’ve been sabotaged by my bladder. And once I’m out of the water, managed to wrestle out of my wet suit in the restroom, and then used to the air on land again, it’s just too hard to get myself back into the icy water. I know many people would say to just go in the ocean . . . no one would know. Yeah, I just can’t. Plus, I think it’s bad karma. (It doesn’t escape me that others probably have gone in the borrowed wetsuits before me.)

So I think, we’ll just have to forgo the coffee next time, and see if I can buy myself some more time in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment