Wednesday, September 2, 2009

LA Bucket List #6: The Magic Castle



So, would you want to go to the Magic Castle?”

“Are you kidding??? I've only wanted to go for years!!!”

“Oh, really? Ok, I'll set it up then.”


Just like that, Marc arranged to make a long time wish come true.


(Marc, the evening's Maestro.)

The Magic Castle sits in the Hollywood Hills, just at the base of the same hill as Yamashiro. It actually looks like a castle, and it's a very exclusive club. No one can go in unless they're a member or invited by a member. Sadly, G and I don't know many magicians, at least not well enough to wrangle an invitation, so for years the Magic Castle has sat there taunting me as a bastion of mystery. As it turns out, Marc does have a friend on the inside, and with a proverbial wave of his wand and the pronouncement of the magic words, “Open Sesame,” we were in.

And it was awesome. The moment you step inside you feel like you're at Hogwarts – and I've always wished I could go to Hogwarts. There are tricks around every corner, from the divining owl that answers your deepest questions, to Irma, the ghost who plays the piano and takes requests. Just try and stump her. There are theaters all over the place, with shows big and small, going on all over the place. Marc's friend, Matt, who got us into the castle, arranged for us to catch the act of a very talented card magician. It was nearly a private showing for our group, we all gathered around the table as he made cards disappear and reappear.

Sadly, I kind of cursed of myself at the start of the evening. As we stood around conversing outside while we waited for G to arrive, I made a comment about how my tolerance has been up lately. Of course, the two drinks I had once we got inside hit me pretty quickly and I got quite sleepy for a while. I kind of zoned out during the second show we saw that evening. Luckily, I bounced back.

With the exception of the brief spacey period, it was a fabulous evening. Matt was an amazing host. He works there and clearly has a deep love for the place and magic in general. He knows all the ins and outs of the joint and is very knowledgeable about its history. He guided us through the rooms telling us stories of the magicians who'd been there, about the family who built the house, and about Houdini and the seances his wife held to try to and communicate with him after his death.



The bars in the castle are great as well. The cocktails are classic and well done, and you might guess quite strong. By the end of the evening we were mingling about. In fact Amy cast her own spell and got the numbers of several magicians. A wonderful time was had by all.

Truly, a magical evening. Thanks Marc!



(Not a bad looking crowd, I must say. All pics this evening are courtesy of Ms. Heather . . . We're technically not supposed to takes pics on the inside. On the one hand, I don't think any of these reveal any secrets, on the other, if it's a problem . . . it was all her ;-) )

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review! I am going to the Magic Castle for the first time and needed some deets! Great review ;0)

    ReplyDelete