Monday, September 21, 2009

Small Differences



We've been in Australia for just about 2 weeks, and so far, moving from LA to Sydney seems to be a case of magnification of small differences.

Culturally speaking it feels more like I've moved to Canada. I don't mean to make a direct comparison between the Canadians and the Australians, I just mean that it feels more like I've moved a few hundred miles up the road rather than to the other side of the globe. There are enough changes that keep you in a constant case of like 'oh, that's different!,' but really when you get down to it it really isn't all THAT big a change. Of course, there are the obvious big ones, like the cars driving on the other side. I hate to admit it's taken me this long to get used to this -- I don't remember it throwing me so much when we went to London -- but every time we go to cross a street, I look the wrong way towards the cars that are going away from me. Then there are all little things to notice, like here all the toilets have two buttons, a half flush and full flush, so can decide just how much flushing power you actually need and conserve water when a half flush will do. I find these little difference endlessly interesting and amusing.

Predictably, we have a lot in common in areas of entertainment. A lot of American music has crossed over, but different artists are more popular here. Apparently, Pink is beyond huge in Australia. As well, a lot of the same shows we have over there, you'll find over here as well. There are a good number of direct transplants, but in a lot of other cases you'll find a version of a show we have at home, just with an Australian accent instead. Throughout the day you can watch Australian Today, ET, and Idol, just to name a few. On the week we arrive, somehow, even the national news is similar. A conservative shock jock has made the headlines with offensive comments and a scandal has been uncovered involving a pedophile who raped a young girl -- in this case his own daughter-- kept her locked up for decades and fathered several children by her. We left similar nightmares and new stories back home. I have to say though that the international news if far more international -- I get a far better picture of what's going on the world here, than on the rare occasion I watch the news there.



I beginning to realize that shopping centers are becoming universal, and malls are malls, wherever you go. Here, however there is that extra similarity of them being Westfields, just as in LA. Just as with TV shows, some store chains have expanded out here, but maybe with a slightly altered logo. As well, for our home shopping needs, we headed to Target just as we would in LA. In some cases the things are familiar, but different. For example Woolworth's is alive and well here, and while the familiar Burger King Logo is everywhere, it's paired with the name Hungry Jack's Instead. Of course Mc Donald's is ubiquitous, and Starbucks has made it here, they're just on every other corner as you'd find them in States; actually, so far I've only seen them downtown in the CBD. However, I was very happy to find out that my Starbucks card is valid on this continent too. I find these demonstrations of globalization are simultaneously comforting and disturbing.

Still, there is plenty that is local and new to me to keep things interesting. Even at Strabucks, and every other coffee house here, you'll have to learn a new set of terms. Sure you'll find a cappuccino or a latte, but good luck finding regular drip coffee. For the most part, the Aussie's seem to have completely done away with coffee in this format. Instead, they seem to have gone the way of a lot of Europeans, deciding that if you're going to go for drip you might as well go with instant. (Starbucks is the one exception. They did offer "filtered" coffee.) For an espresso, order a “short black” for a single, or a “long black” for a double. If you want to add milk, ask for a "flat white" -- which is pretty much a cafe au lait.

We're also trying to get used to prices here. Toiletries are crazy expensive. Actually, goods in general seem to be universally more expensive, the exchange rate isn't really helping us either. There appear to be fewer options for any given product. I'm guessing this is all because everything has to be imported, but that's just a guess. Good quality meat seems to be cheap, but alcohol is REALLY expensive. Expect to pay $20+ for a bottle of any of your favorite spirits. Tipping at restaurants and bars is completely optional, which is nice because the price that's listed is pretty much the price you pay. No extra tax and tip to account for. It took me a while to get this though, and I'm pretty sure that I WAY overtipped the bartenders at the little dive bar Kate and I hit up our first week here.

I think that there are certain similarities one finds across international cities. To some extent, I feel like if you're used urban-life, moving to another major urban center, even in another country, is probably easier than being plopped into a rural area – or vice versa. LA to Sydney seems an even smoother transition, now that I'm here. Sure, I have tune my ear to a new accent and learn a few new terms – later today I need to go to the chemist, not a pharmacy – but there is a lot in common. The weather is mild, and thus there is lots to do outdoors. Generally, the lifestyle here seems to be similarly casual. There is a vibrant surf culture, although it is certainly more widespread than in Los Angeles. I'm anxious to buy a board and get a taste of it.

As one might expect, the international influences here are very similar to those found LA, with every area of Asia being represented here. However, I would say that there are even more nationalities of all kinds readily visible here. You can hear this right away from the sheer number of languages being spoken around you. So many students come here from just about everywhere to learn English that from moment to moment you might here a group speaking German, or Japanese, or French, or Indian, or anything else. I've don't think I've heard such a wide variety of Spanish accents since I went with my Venezuelan high school to our South American Model United Nations conference.

This multiculturalism is also evident when you look at the city through my favorite lens – food. There are so many different cuisines here! And it's not all just in the patchwork of ethnic enclaves you find in LA. On any given street you find a nice variety. There's lots of Asian food of all kinds of course, but there are also tons of Turkish restaurants and Portuguese grill joints with amazing new things to try.





We got these gozoleme at market in Bondi Junction one night. They're like big, stuffed Turkish crepes. Ours had meat, spinach, and feta -- oh, so good!

Our first dinner in the city was at an delicious little Hungarian joint where I had a very tasty goulash. It was cold out, and the goulash was warm, and oh man did it hit the spot.


And of course, there are the local specialties to try. We have already become devotees of the meat pie! I've decided that I must limit myself to one per week, otherwise I'll never loose this gut I earned in these last few months of no-holds-bard eating. But clearly there are so many yummy things to try here . . . I think our reduced budget might be my savior.





Mmmm, taste the yummy goodness!

So I'm quickly feeling pretty comfortable. However, I would love to meet more people, particularly Aussies, so that I can start to get a real sense of the place – rather than just a tourist's perspective. I just can't wait to get out and see more.





I think the Aussie's are wonderfully blunt. You can see this even in their signs and advertising. They are direct in a way you'd never see in hyper-pc US. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment